What will this course do for you?
This course contains everything I’ve learned about what it takes for authors to successfully connect with readers. Distilled into a concise and practical series of lessons, it will:
- Enable you to become an influential voice as an author
- Change lives by taking your story to the widest possible audience, and
- Make your book a meaningful part of your life’s work.
You’ll benefit from seeing plenty of examples of REAL author platform descriptions, from book proposals that led to deals with major publishers.
This course will prepare you for your new life as a published author: a sought-after contributor, expert, presenter, commentator, and writer.
By completing this course, you will learn how to:
- Generate buzz for your book
- Land endorsements from experts and celebrities
- Craft a winning description of your platform for your book proposal or self-publishing plan, and
- Create an actionable plan for connecting with your readers.
What do you get in this course?
- 9 detailed video lessons, taking you from novice to ready-to-launch
- Downloadable worksheets and planning exercises
- Real-life samples from successful author platform plans
A clear and achievable plan for promoting yourself as an author and connecting with your readers.
The truth about author platform
Here are some common myths and misconceptions I hear about author platform:
- Author platform is all about social media.
- My book is a literary memoir. People will buy it because of the writing, so I don’t really need a platform.
- I already have a website, so that’s my platform.
- I’m an introvert, so I don’t want an author platform.
- I’m not a celebrity, so I can’t compete with the big-name authors in my genre.
- Promoting my book is my publisher’s job, not mine.
- I’ll work on building my profile once I’ve finished writing my book/once I have a publishing contract.
Here’s the truth. Author platform is about you: who you are as a person, and as the author of a book you’re passionate about. It’s about you and your readers, and how you connect with them to talk about the subject you love.
Is this course right for you?
If you’re seeking a traditional publishing deal, author platform is a make or break element in catching the attention of agents and editors. Self-publishing authors, too, must have a clear plan for connecting with their readers.
I’ve created this course mainly for nonfiction writers, but fiction writers will also find some great pointers here for building connection with their readers.
I am a specialist book proposal writer, and former non-fiction publisher for HarperCollins. My clients are represented at a number of agencies, including Park & Fine Literary & Media, Talcott Notch Literary, and Marsal Lyon Literary Agency, and published with top houses such as HarperBusiness, St. Martin’s Press, Simon & Schuster, and Chronicle Books.
Here's what people say about me:
“Sally, I am not sure where we would be without you; thank you for not only helping us take our message to the world, but for being passionate and invested in our message and success.”
—Leonie Hull, co-founder of the Academy of Brain-based Leadership, co-author of Psychological Safety
“Sally is a pleasure to work with. Creative. Great sense of humor. Complete understanding of the nuts and bolts of publishing and a brilliant editor.”
—Philippa Sandall, co-author of New York Times bestselling New Glucose Revolution book series.
“I hired Sally to develop a plan of action and write a book proposal. When she commits and promises a client work to be done, she does it with integrity and style. I would not hesitate to recommend Sally in anything she would put her mind to.”
—Anthony Drago, author of Surviving Hiroshima: A Young Woman's Story